HON'YAKUSHO: Translation
Hey yo hey,
This entire mix exchange has truly been educational. There is so very much I do not know. Even things I ought to know considering what I like. I listened to the Mayan Empire and the only case where I recognized both artist and song was Shonen Knife. Some kickass tunes on that one, "Fat Man and Dancing Girl" was one I played more than thrice. And "Take On Me"! Love it.
I would listen to all of Jenny's mix if I could just get past that Duran Duran cover. ^^
So have you ever had Japanese pizza?
As far as anyone can tell it's pizza. It looks like it (kind of). It smells like it. It may have corn and tuna on it. The sauce is slightly sweeter. The cheese not as liberal.
It's pizza slightly mistranslated.
Not what you're used to having at home. You may like it right away. It may grow on you. It may perpetually bother you. But it's certainly not homegrown.
I do not approve of every song on this mix. Some, I feel, reinforce the notion that although the Japanese are extremely adept at emulation, they are somewhat lacking in ingenuity. Some artists merely take a concept and adjust it to their liking. Some tracks are here for kicks. Oddities. Others I genuinely love.
Oh yeah, like an arse I did not make a copy of the track list for myself so these liner notes are from memory. If I miss a track or I'm out of order, eh, that's why. ^_^
Kimigayo ("His Majesty's Reign" Japan National Anthem) - Imawano Kiyoshiro
"I have no idea why this is a problem. I sang it my way because I thought the original version sounded dark and depressing." --Imawano Kiyoshiro
This is why the Japanese don't win the Olympics.
Their national anthem is a downer.
It just doesn’t have that swell, that catchy je ne se mew, that pompous oomph you need to start a ball game. You can't wave a flag to it. You can, however, stare solemnly. It sounds like a funeral dirge. Taking into consideration the lyrics and the stigma associated with Japanese nationalism, there are profound reasons why Kimigayo is met with mixed emotions to this day.
Kiyoshiro got in big trouble for his blatant disrespect for the sacred holy iconic righteous bullshit that is the basic oomph behind every anthem. He pissed off Polydor, his record label, who feared right-wing threats. At least Swim Records didn't give a shit. Imawano made his anthem palatable to a generation who weren’t quite sure what to make of the declaration: “I am Japanese.”
They thought they knew what it meant and the world hasn't forgotten the results. My professor still remembers a time when everyone in her school assembly was required to sing the words each morning before the principal uncovered the portrait of the emperor. No one was permitted to look up for to cast an eye on god is to undermine his divinity.
Then the Americans came and god was no longer god.
Just like that.
So maybe Kiyoshiro was mocking this holy righteousness? Maybe he was being facetious? Maybe he was being a rebellious arsehole fuck?
Or maybe he was in love with the fact?
He was Japanese.
He loved it so much he had to head bang.
And that is nothing to be ashamed about.
Holy is crap kids. It’s just a song. Sing it loud and jump.
Unconditional Love - Shiina Ringo
Unconditional Love is a Cyndi Lauper ballad when you could still get away with sentiments like: "Ï wanna fall into you and Ï wanna do everything you want me to." I once got Tavie to listen to this and she was actually fine with it until Shiina started to sing loudly. ^^ Hee. I actually like the arrangement better than her delivery. I love the intro. Like the start of a 1940’s radio show. And I cave for stringgggsssss.
Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Shiina Ringo
If the world needs anything, Apple my love, it is NOT another cover of this song.
Now I may be devoted. I may be irrational. I may willingly row through a sea of Saddam spit to get my hands on what you do but didja have to cover THE cover song? I have seen your pipe dreams, missy. I know you SO wanna be that torch song chanteuse belting out standards. If that misguided cover of Lady is a Tramp is any indication I’m onto yer game.
But I can’t say I haven’t cleaned my house to this. Though honestly, I can tell you I feel lame every time I do.
Wave of Mutilation - Number Girl
This was the first time I ever heard this song. I wasn't really into it because it didn't give Mukai an opportunity to unleash the frothing demon in his voice. You can barely hear him anyway. The original is better. Number Girl digs the Pixies, it's true and they are heavily influenced. But I'd rather hear them sing their own stuff any day.
Gigantic - Wakusei
GIG-antic!? JAI-GAN-TI-KU? Jesus Wakusei. Katakana has heinously lied to you. My poor friend once attempted to make flight reservations for Belgium only to have the travel agent confused as to where “Belugi” was located. It’s not a hard G, dudes! Someone please re-educate the Japanese? Don’t EVEN pout and say it’s unfair! You dudes rearrange the letters K, G, B, S, R, Z, T, D, P, H and F ALL the fooking time!
This song came from a Japanese Pixies tribute album which I only know about because eh...I like the Beat Crusaders.
Hedwig's Lament -Yoko Ono & Yo la Tengo
Ohh Trask must have wet himself when he heard this one. Yoko fookin Ono! I think I love this song mostly because I am in love with the image of a little Japanese grandma rocking out with Yo La Tengo. Favorite line: "Ï gave a piece to the rock star. He took the good stuff and ran."
Girl From Ipanema - Pizzicato 5
I'm not that big a fan of Pizzicato 5 though lots of people think I should be. The only reason I know who they are is because Tavie made me listen to something her friend gave her and asked: "Hey, is this Japanese?"
Why so it was. But I was too ear-deep in Cocco at the time to care.
I like Nomiya Maki's voice but in the end, I get the impression that she's just a cleverly packaged, skillyfully backed idol singer. That being said, I like this song in particular because I can dance to it.
Soda Pressing - Thee Michelle Gun Elephant
Thanks Chiba Yosuke you sexy growly pissed off motherfucker. If you guys were still together, I’d fight my way to the front, clutch my hair and scream until I was inside out. I love the suave gangster in your throaty howl, the way you roll your R's like you wanna be tough, the way you SO wish you were Kenichi Asai. ^^ But to be fair, you've definitely got your own thing going. I would embrace it even if it offended me. That being said, at least I can hear you. The Boys just aren't screaming loud enough on the original.
Cutey Honey - Go!Go!7188
Ah, camp. Go!Go!7188 long earned my respect for their emulation of Shiina Ringo and Yuki. But this homage to cheesy retro anime theme songs pleases me to no end. Quite the flirty little theme it is too. In fact, the entire song is one huge come on.
Kono goro hayari na onna no ko She’s that girl who’s so into fashion
Oshiri na chiisa na onna no ko That girl with the tiny ass
Kocchi wo muite yo HANII Come on look my way honey
Datte nanda ka datte datte nan da mon Because? Because well…just because
Cutey Honey's gimmick was that she could change her look just by saying "Kawaru wa yo!" (I'll change now) which is the sound byte they use in the middle of the song. Koda Kumi, an idol singer, covered this song too but her version blows.
About A Girl - Cibo Matto
Hasn’t this been used to sell life insurance/long distance/donuts or something? Could have sworn I've heard it before. Gotta say, as much as I love Kurt’s original, this is the one that gets stuck in my head.
With or Without You - Utada Hikaru
I know shite about U2. I still have one of their CDs sitting on my desk because I just haven’t found time to play it. But I can see why Hikki likes this song. It sounds like something off her first album. Utada Hikaru is the Japanese answer to Brandy. She's just as fluent in English (her duet with Foxy Brown is the only reason I know who Foxy Brown is) But her English albums just didn't fly here while her Japanese albums went off the charts in Japan. I'm interested in her Unplugged album as I do love her voice, I'm just not that into her music. My R&B ship has sailed.
Shimauta - Alfredo Casero
Ok, this is only here because of the appeal of some Argentinian dude singing in Japanese. The original, by THE BOOM, wasn't actually half bad if you dig cheesy Olympic theme songs.
Sweet Jane - Hajime Chitose
Another example of a cover the world does not need. Chitose's Okinawan twist and the amusing accordian make this novelty, I suppose. Still, like Shiina, I'd rather hear her in Japanese.
Rainbow - Cocco
Rainbow is a B-side on one of Cocco's singles. This song actually belongs to her producers, Dr. Strangelove, one of the best fookin Japanese bands that no one's ever heard of. It's a pretty straight up cover. There is virtually no difference between the two except Dr. Strangelove? He a dude.
Sedated - Shonen Knife
Ah, fuckin Shonen Knife. I remember my first concert at the Knitting Factory. How naive I was. How blissfully unaware as I clutched my box of Pocky which would later be demolished under a raging mosher's heel. How little I knew that I would leave bruised by a crowd thrashing to a song about Banana Chips. Shonen Knife are festering fans of the Ramones so this cover is no shocker at all.
Drive - Maika Shiratori
Maika Shiratori can sing me a tax form and I'd swoon. She's produced by the same people who brought you Cocco (Dr. Strangelove.) As far as I can tell this version of Drive isn't very removed from Stipe's original but something about a chick on vocal gives it a different vibe. No less haunting than Stipe's delivery just eh, don't know why. Maika was schooled in England so her English is nigh on flawless. She is also quite fond of covering Thom Yorke.
Summertime Blues - Guitar Wolf
Tragedy recently befell Guitar Wolf. Three months ago their bass player died. Poor Billy. He was only 38.
EVERY random dude I know claiming ignorance of Japanese music perks whenever I mention Guitar Wolf. This was actually a band my Korn-loving, heavy-metal drooling, skater college ex got me into. They were loud, their guitars made my ears want to fly off my head. However, intrigued as I was by their volume, I was soon distracted by Number Girl.
My Way - Blankey Jet City
This just wouldn't be complete without something by Kenichi Asai. Éven just 47 seconds of him. He even translated this old standard into Japanese. I love him. I love him. I love him.

4 Comments:
I especially love the approximations of pronounciation. (kinda like the approximations of my spelling.) it's close enough to be acceptable yet unsettling.
I don't mind mispronunications. Sometimes it's actually amusing, fetching. I like it better when the Japanese translate literally from Japanese to English. It makes sense but it's enough to throw you. For instance:
"My body responds just to pain
your words, your whip, your scars I like." --Cocco
In Japanese the verb goes at the end instead of the other way around.
I'm trying really, really hard to get to the end of this mix. I know that sounds bad, but I gotta be honest. I think I'd much rather hear these artists doing their own music, as half of these make me feel like I'm trapped in some weird japanese muzak coma.
But I DO like The Pixies covers, the Cibo Matto track and "Soda Pressing". As I write this I'm about to pick up where I left off at track #14. Wish me luck.
Ganbatte kudasai! (Good luck!)
I completely agree with the sentiment. Like many covers, it's not always a matter of: "Hey, I can do that better." but "I really dig this song and I'm gonna pay my respects." with whatever they have. A fair replica with slightly broken English. A familiar song in a high baby voice. Thee Michelle Gun Elephant first got famous from their Boys covers before making their own music.
While I really like some of these covers, their own music is why I got into them in the first place.
Totally off tenagent, I wonder if it has something to do with sentiment and the language-- the why you might sing a song when you don't know the meaning of all the words. Does that affect a song negatively? A-HA did a pretty good job of it...
Post a Comment
<< Home