the mayan empire presents: covers
Since Bryan is busy making more internet for the people, and since I am procrastinating work, I’m going to go ahead and post my commentary on the Mayan Empire’s covers mix. B can come in later and post his own comments or edit mine; I’ll also indicate who chose which song, for those who can’t tell.
1. Ted Leo – “Since U Been Gone / Maps”
A mutual and instinctive choice. If there’s one thing the Mayan Empire loves more than “Since U Been Gone,” it’s Ted Leo covering “Since U Been Gone.” Bryan once tried to make a Garageband mashup of these songs (the originals) but failed on account of “the damn drums.”
2. Self – “Fat Man and Dancing Girl”
Bryan’s choice, although I’ve become quite a Self fan my, um, self. Aside from being ridiculously prolific, I find Matt Mahaffey’s geeky genius endlessly endearing. Here he Self-ifies a Suzanne Vega song, to fine effect, I think. Interesting note: I met Suzanne Vega when I worked at Mass MoCA and she was very nice and had drinks with the crew. Other interesting note: Matt Mahaffey is that voice you hear singing Expedia dot coooommmmm in the travel company jingle.
3. The Hated – “I am a Rock”
My choice. I cannot stand Simon and Garfunkel’s earnest twinkling, but goddamn if they don’t write some choice songs. For reasons that are probably all-too obvious this one always stuck out as being my favorite; I’ve just always believed that angst is best expressed loudly. Thankfully the Hated stepped forward with this cover, which appeared on a Simple Machines tape compilation in the early nineties.
4. The Pastels – “Speeding Motorcycle”
My choice. Okay, Stephen Pastel can twinkle earnestly, I suppose. Of all the tweepop bands I fancied in high school, the Pastels are one of the few I still find listenable. This kind of jangle is all right by me.
5. Read Yellow – “Bigmouth Strikes Again”
Bryan’s choice. Who are these people? I like them a lot.
6. Calexico – “Corona”
Bryan’s choice, though I second anything Calexico. We put this on here for all you “Jackass” fans.
7. Bratmobile – “Cherry Bomb”
My choice. If Riot Grrrl was good for anything, it was good for reviving interest in Joan Jett.
8. New Grenada – “Eric’s Trip”
Sonic Youth Fanclub President’s choice, and it may be one of my favorite tracks on our mix. Who are New Grenada? No clue. This turned up on a Sonic Youth covers album, and while I think it takes a certain amount of chutzpah to cover the mighty SY, these New Grenada girls do a fantastic job.
9. Nada Surf – “If You Leave”
Bryan’s choice. Bryan with a Y likes the Nada (say it Nay-da) Surf, indeed. This one brings a tear to my otherwise cold and emotionless eye. Oddly enough, the original never did.
10. Lou Barlow – “Round and Round”
The Mayan Empire heartily endorses anything Mr. Barlow does.
11. Superchunk – “Brand New Love”
Will you check the slickness there? Right into the Sebadoh cover. This was my choice, as I’ve been a Superchunk fan for quite some time. Having seen Mac perform recently as Portastatic, though, I have to say I liked it better when he didn’t actually know how to sing and they didn’t have decent recording equipment. This song reminds me of a time when I thought four chords and one font were all you needed to change the world.
12. Mary’s Danish – “I Fought the Law”
My choice. I found a Mary’s Danish CD in a used bin recently and was surprised by how bad it was. Did they always suck? I’ll never know, but this is a decently-stompish cover of a classic song, and I always increase the exertion level when it pops up on my gym mix.
13. Blake Babies – “Temptation Eyes”
My choice, if only for the little breakdown en francais. Juliana Hatfield always sings like she has feelings, but the Blake Babies were a solid summery pop band. Her later solo stuff is much more cringe-worthy (“I’m ugly with a capital U,” anyone?).
14. Atom and his Package – “Waiting Room”
When Bryan played this for me I squealed with delight. Yes is all I can say yes.
15. Eels – “Get Ur Freak On”
Bryan likes Eels and I like Missy so we both win with this track.
16. Thurston Moore – “European Son”
Guess who picked this one. Guess. No, seriously, guess.
17. Flaming Lips – “Can’t Get You Out of My Head”
Bryan is the Lips fan on this team, but they’re growing on me. Can we talk about this phenomenon of hip indie rockers covering “guilty pleasure” pop songs? Cf. this track, track 15, and track 1. I feel like someone should make a compilation of such covers and sell it on a late-night MTV infomercial.
18. The Shins – “We Will Become Silhouettes”
Bryan all the way. I’ve nothing much to say here except the Shins are from Albuquerque and I once saw two bobcats frolicking in a sagebrush in Albuquerque.
19. Cap’n Jazz – “Take on Me”
Ditto, except minus New Mexico and the bobcats.
20. Shonen Knife – “Top of the World”
A last minute selection from yours truly. I’ve nothing much to say about it except I don’t like the Carpenters and I love Shonen Knife, especially when they sing about snacks. The Carpenters, obviously, never sang about snacks.
21. Jenny Toomey – “Fool for You”
Ms. Toomey has the voice you wish you had and she can tackle most any song and make it soar; her version has fully supplanted the original in my heart. This number comes from her excellent solo two-disc set Antidote, which you should seek out if your heart’s been broken recently or ever.

3 Comments:
shit, I'd like to see two bobcats frolicking in a sage bush! man, too bad you didn't have bryan around at the time to document it all.
I like the bigmouth cover quite a bit. nice (pronounced : niiish) stuff.
apparently it's unusual for two bobcats to appear together in public. that's what I was told, anyway.
sadly it all went down long before I met my own private paparazzo...
Mary, have you ever heard the Pastels remixed album? i know it sounds like a really bad idea, but it's SOOOO good. Perhaps my favorite pastels album, even tho it's not a proper one.
Post a Comment
<< Home